Monday, January 5, 2009

A Contiuation of a Wonderfully Long Vacation

So, the holidays are over (okay - I guess they've been over for a couple of posts now). But, things are starting to settle down and more importantly they feel like they are settling down. I have spent the last few weeks doing what I like to call "stewing." No, I am not cooking anything. I in fact have all of next semester simmering in my head. My syllabi, my classes, Little Shop of Horrors . . . I don't actually DO anything. I just let it sit there in my subconscious and I . . . well stew. And then one day, I freak out and things come out of me like . . . well, as Dr. T used to say "projectile vomit." Art is projectile vomit. You can't keep it away. It just comes out when it is ready.

And so the last few days I have been spending some time reinventing a class, inventing a class, and slowly bringing Little Shop to the surface. I admit I am still scared of Little Shop and will probably remain so until at least auditions (Feb. 1) and probably until April 24th (opening night!) Lol! But hey - I love what I am doing, so that's all that matters, right?

In other news, I have been seeing a lot of high school friends this week. It is so much fun. Facebook has really hooked me up with a lot of people. Last semester we had a "virtual Harlaxton 10-year reunion" (Harlaxton is the school I went to in England fall of sophomore year). It was so awesome. And since my 10 year high school reunion, Facebook has let me keep in touch with a bunch of high school friends.

Saturday I went to Liz Lehtonen's (used to be Fehey) 30th birthday party and met her beautiful new baby. In fact I spent most of the evening holding the beautiful child in anticipation for when I am an aunt in a few months. I gotta learn about this baby stuff.

Here we are at Liz' b-day party (she and her husband currently live in Oxford, England). There were a couple of other people from high school there. Jeremy and his wife and kid, and Carl and his fiancee. We had a good time telling Mcque stories!

Today I saw Sarah Johnson from Junior Shakespeare Company in high school. She had her two children with her. Anna (the oldest) is already six! Last time I saw her she was crawling. The kids were delightful. And lunch was quick and frenzied (they had to get Anna to afternoon kindergarten), but remarkably fun.

And tomorrow night I will see Tom Green - the first guy I ever officially dated (well, actually the first guy I dated period). Lol! Funny story about that. I went to see a play called The Miracle Worker with my friend Trevor a couple of weeks before coming back to SLC. And it was about to begin when all of a sudden I realized (and blurted out) that this play was the first date I ever went on five days before my 16th birthday. Tom was already sixteen (and so grownup) so he drove and my parents us go alone. I remember sitting in the car, just the two of us, driving to the theatre thinking, "wow - this is so cool that my friends and I can just get in a car and go!" What a new found freedom. Hilarious. I suddenly remembered things about that night that I don't think I would have ever remembered if I hadn't gone and seen that show (in a completely different space and stage setup mind you). The mind is so funny (refer to my last post for more thoughts about the delirious mind).

No comments: